Backyard Brain Open Finance
Backyard Brains Logo

Neuroscience for Everyone!

+1 (855) GET-SPIKES (855-438-7745)

items ()

Backyard Brains Finances

Backyard Brains is an open company. Both our hardware and software are open source. We encourage users to tinker with the design, learn from it, and hopefully make it better!

But we didn't stop there... We are also "open source" when it comes to our finances. Though we are but a small private company, we have decided to open up our books to help our employees and customers understand how Backyard Brains is doing as a whole. Are people buying these kits? Where in the world are they from?

As of our latest sale (on 2024-Jul-03), we have sold 18588 SpikerBoxes! 14022 were shipped as our standard SpikerBox kits, while 3754 were sent as our "bag of parts" DIY kits. We also put on workshops, and we've helped students assemble an additional 396 units. 416 do-it-yourselfers have opted to just get a bare board and purchase their own parts (the El Cheapo). 2060 of the SpikerBoxes were the dual channel variety, and 5315 were EMG SpikerBoxes. We also shipped 369 SpikerBoxes as part of our Completo kits. On a different subject, we sold 1939 RoboRoaches!

Individual SpikerBox shipments (onesies, twosies) make up 89.95 % of our orders (9024 total: 6440 were SpikerBoxes, 2584 were DIY Kits). The remaining 10.05 % have gone into classrooms (1008 total: 588 as SpikerBoxes and 420 as kits). Below is the breakdown of our shipped boxes over the past few months.

Just who are these people that are purchasing these SpikerBoxes? We try as best as we can to figure out who each of our customers are (we like to call them and talk for a bit on the phone). Below is the breakdown of our current customer base (17646 unique customers; 19767 total orders).

Our customers come from all around the world. We have sold units to 105 different countries: Albania, Antarctica, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brasil, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estados Unidos, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, France, Metropolitan, Gabon, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal , Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Schweiz, Scotland, Serbia, Serbia and Montenegro, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, 대한민국, and the United States.

Within the U.S., we have shipped to all 50 States! Wyoming was the last to go, with a sale on Feb 28th, 2013. We have also shipped many SpikerBoxes to our friends in Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. Below is the breakdown of revenue by state (Excluding workshop sales; The darkest red is = $839,870.27).